A chat based forum dedicated to the Belgian Shepherd dogs of the world. Groenendael, Tervueren, Malinois & Laeknois, working or pets GSD's & cross breeds all welcome.


    Toxic dog food

    Share
    avatar
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2010-06-19
    Age : 49
    Location : Essex

    Toxic dog food

    Post  Admin on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:44 am

    There are a number of foods which people eat which are toxic to dogs. Depending on the amount eaten, they can make a dog ill or even result in the dog's death.

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    avatar
    Lizzie

    Posts : 24
    Join date : 2010-07-27
    Age : 40
    Location : In a house surrounded by fields and sheep in Scotland

    Re: Toxic dog food

    Post  Lizzie on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:55 pm

    Poisonous plants

    Plants bring colour and fragrance to a garden, but some commonly grown plants can be hazardous to pets.

    Local nursery staff will be able to advise about plants which are poisonous.

    The following are just some of the plants found in many UK gardens that can be harmful to your pet. When buying new plants seek the advice of experienced nursery staff about

    the relative toxicity to humans and pets.

    Cherry laurel

    (Prunus laurocerasus) This is a hedging plant, often used in public parks and gardens. The most common cause of poisoning in dogs is through eating or chewing the leaves so dog owners should be careful how they dispose of hedge cuttings.

    Castor oil bush

    (Ricinus communis) The seeds, or more frequently oil cakes used as a fertiliser, appear very attractive to dogs and can be potentially fatal.

    Daffodil

    (Narcissus) All parts of the daffodil are harmful. Dogs sometimes eat the bulbs, and even a small portion of a bulb can kill a small animal. In fact, drinking the water in which cut daffodils have stood is potentially hazardous.

    Laburnum

    (Cytisus alpinus) All parts of this plant are poisonous, but the seeds are especially dangerous. Even chewing laburnum bark or twigs can affect a dog.

    Yew

    (Taxus baccata and related species) Nearly all parts of the plant are harmful, including dried clippings. A mere 30g of leaves could be potentially fatal to a dog.

    Lily of the valley

    (Convallaria majalis) Lily of the valley flowers and leaves, which are often used in bouquets, contain a toxin that can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and heart problems in dogs and cats. The pet could also collapse and have fits.

    Lilies

    (Lilium) Some parts of lilies, such as Tiger, Easter, Stargazer and Arum, are potentially toxic, especially to cats. Lilies are often used in bouquets and pets can be poisoned through eating or chewing parts of the plant, such as the leaves, stems or flower heads. Even the pollen can be harmful, as cats may lick this off their fur after brushing against the flower head. Other types of lilies can also be hazardous to pets so you should always seek advice from your florist or garden centre.

    Philodendron

    (Philodendron and related species) All parts of this popular ornamental houseplant are toxic, although it is usually the leaves that pets like to chew or eat. Even contact with the plant can cause irritation to the eyes and mouth resulting in excessive salivation. In cats, the condition usually develops into a more serious condition, and can be fatal.

      Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 am